In Brazil, it’s always time for Carnaval, an enchanting cultural event that has something for everyone. In Toronto, Canada, Maninho Costa – a Brazilian from Rio, or Carioca – created the group Batucada Carioca in 2004 to perform at the city’s annual Brazilian Ball fundraiser. The group continued performing at this prestigious event every year, soon began to perform more shows around the city, and has been constantly evolving to this day. Batucada Carioca has performed at many different events both in Toronto and outside of it: in clubs, at weddings, at corporate and private events, and numerous festivals and community happenings.
With a repertoire based faithfully on the samba school rhythms of Rio, Maninho and his drummers from varied backgrounds are a living example of how to approach samba seriously and have a great time playing it. All of the group’s members are filled with passion and respect for the culture of samba schools throughout Brazil.
Using a mix of instruments, Batucada Carioca also features additional rhythms and musicians that often involve the cavaquinho (a Brazilian ukulele), acoustic guitar, horns, and vocals. These different rhythms are interpreted as fusions played with samba instruments. But of course, samba is our flagship – our guiding light. It is what moves us.
A sample of Batucada Carioca performances:
– Brazilian Day opening ceremonies at Dundas Square in Toronto
– World Cup 2010 and 2014 events for CBC
– Promotional video for CBC’s coverage of the Rio Paralympics in 2016
– Featured players on the TV show Rich Bride, Poor Bride
– Two appearances at the Festival du Monde in Montreal
– TD Niagara Jazz Festival in St. Catharines
– Multiple appearances in the Toronto Pride Parade
– Annual Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
– Various workshops around and outside Toronto
Our band colours, blue and white, are an homage to one of Rio’s most legendary samba schools. Portela is a major player on the Carnaval scene in Rio, and inspired the creation of the “bloco” Batucada Carioca of Toronto. Our shows will make you smile and dance – guaranteed to transport you to a party in Rio, if only
for a short time. We are Batucada Carioca.
Fé no samba /Faith in samba